It’s a headline that will probably appeal to kids while filling parents with dread but eating all the Halloween candy at once can be healthier! That’s because eating sugary treats over time can cause more damage to your teeth than consuming them all in one sitting. When you have something sugary, bacteria in your mouth feed on the sugars and form acids that erode your tooth enamel, gradually creating holes or cavities. The longer sugar remains on your teeth, the more these bacteria thrive. However, when you eat something sugary all in one go, these bacteria can only create the acid so fast, causing less damage than frequently snacking on sweets.
If you have decided to embrace Halloween, there are a few tricks that can minimise its effects on your health. One tip is to drink a full glass of water before a meal to increase your sense of fullness and prevent overeating. Also, after having your Halloween treats, stay on your feet because this helps your body to digest food more easily. Finally, if you binge on sugar before lunch or dinner, try eliminating simple carbohydrates such as bread at your next meal and stick to lean protein or salad instead. After consuming something sweet and sugary, you don’t need the extra carbs for energy.