At this time of year, you want to spend quality time with friends and loved ones, not seeking emergency dental treatment. Follow our easy tips to keep your teeth strong and healthy this festive season.
* Don’t use your teeth as nutcrackers because the hard surfaces of nuts can easily crack or chip your teeth.
* Say ‘no thanks’ to chewy treats that could harm your teeth or dislodge fillings. Sweets like caramels and toffees can stick to teeth for hours, increasing the risk of tooth decay.
* Using your teeth to open packets or bottle caps increases your risk of breaking or cracking a tooth. In the worst case, you might even need a crown or root canal treatment. It takes moments to fetch the right tools and could save you hours in the dental chair.
* Avoid crunching on hard-boiled sweets or ice cubes and instead, let them dissolve naturally.
* Holiday festivities can be stressful, but if you find relief in biting your nails, try your hardest to resist. Nail biting is linked to other oral habits like teeth grinding and clenching and which can cause facial and jaw pain and tooth sensitivity. Whenever you feel like biting your nails, try keeping your hands busy until the urge disappears. Alternatively, paint your nails with bitter anti-nail-biting liquid.